A lot of people decide to purchase a new car during the summer, because summer is a time that most people are traveling. If you’re planning on a long car trip this summer, follow these tips to keep your family safe and your wallet a little heavier.
- Change your oil regularly: If you look into your owner’s manual, you’ll find that it probably says to change your oil every 7,500 miles or so. Most oil change experts say that number should be closer to 3,000 miles. If you’re planning a trip that will put a lot of miles on your car, especially in the summer when you’re car is more likely to overheat, stick closer to the 3,000 mile figure.
- Clean your battery: Hot weather can affect your car in ways you aren’t always thinking about. Summer heat can speed up the chemical reaction taking place inside your car’s battery, which will really shorten its lifespan. By regularly detaching the battery cables and wiping the terminals, it will decrease the chance of your battery being overcharged.
- Change the Air Filter – A dirty air filter can improve gas mileage by up to 10 percent. It’s recommended you change your air filter every 12,000 miles, and summer is a good time to do it since the streets aren’t so dirty with salt.
- Check your tire pressure – Tire pressure changes with the weather. For every 10-degree increase in the weather, your tires could raise one-two PSI. An over-inflated tire can lead to hydroplaning in wet conditions.
- Maintain refrigerant – Usually, if an air conditioner isn’t working properly, low refrigerant is at fault. If you have low refrigerant levels in your car, that means you could have a leak somewhere in the system, and you should have your air conditioning system checked out by a professional.
The Rothrock Motors service department is happy to help if you have issues with any of the above. Simply call 484-223-0570 to make an appointment!